Hello Again, Hello (Again)
Life has been a real whirlwind lately. In the last 7 months I have:
- had back-to-back solo shows in two out of three Maritime provinces
- created two major research and labour intensive pieces for above mentioned exhibits (each took over 300 hours to realize)
- quit my auxiliary position as Education Assistant at the Burnaby Art Gallery so I could manage to create above mentioned pieces
- had an exhibit of 2-D work debut at the Firehall Arts Centre during the Vancouver Fringe Festival
- developed an intensive, hands-on, day-long workshop featuring the techniques I use when creating my sculptures
- spent four days in Wolfville, NS delivering an artist talk and full day workshop at Acadia University Art Gallery
- spent a week in Fredericton, NB installing Slim and delivering an artist talk at Gallery ConneXion
- had most of my 2-D work professionally documented
- been researching website possibilities (baby’s gonna get a new dress)
As you can see, I’ve been good and busy.
While my extended web absence may be understandable – and maybe even forgiven – it’s not something I want to continue. Now that I no longer have a day job (which is a bit terrifying and most likely going to be the topic of its own post) my goal is to establish a balance between my physical creation and my virtual creation while I figure out how to pursue a financially successful career as an artist.
And what could be better than sharing that journey with you? The successes (I hope!), the failures (of which I’m sure there will be many), all with complete transparency.
Over the next week or so I’m going to flesh out the above highlights into posts, catch everyone up to speed on past events, and then be ready to tackle the New Year in the present tense. Please don’t be shy. Drop me a comment, send me an email, or look me up on facebook or Twitter.
It’s going to be a wild ride – I hope you join me.